As the air chills these cinnamon muffins are the perfect treat to throw together. From the cinnamon filled aroma and the crunchy crumb topping, nothing says cozy quite like these muffins.
Make this recipe your own by using a loaf pan instead of muffin tins. Or double the recipe and throw it into a bundt pan. Get a little crazy and add some pecans. You can really do no wrong here. Just be sure to enjoy it with a hot cup of tea and a blanket on the couch.
For the crumb topping
- 4 tbsp Butter cubed and very cold
- ¼ Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cardamon
For the muffins
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Butter at room temperature
- 2 large Eggs + 1 Egg White
- ½ Cup Buttermilk *see note
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 400°F
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the crumb topping. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to pinch together the butter to mix it in with the ingredients until it resembles the feeling of sand. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until it is smooth.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and buttermilk, beat for 2 minutes.
- Use a spoon to mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. Be careful not to over mix here, stir until it is just combined.
- Add half of the Crumb Topping to the mixed ingredients and barely stir.
- Place the batter in your muffin cups.
- Add the remaining crumb topping mixture to the top of each muffin.
- Baking for the first 5 minutes on 400°F, then lower the temperature to 375°F. Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.