The most delicious bread that can be made in just over 3 hours!? Let’s do it!
Let me tell you, this focaccia bread is GOOD. This is my go to appetizer/side to make when friends are coming over. You can experiment with different toppings (rosemary, tomatoes, veggies, etc). It makes a great addition to any meal or to throw onto a charcuterie board.
The first time I had focaccia bread was when I spent a summer nannying for my cousins in Florence, Italy. There was a little bakery just behind the local market that sold slabs of focaccia break for under a euro! To say I quickly became addicted to this bread is an understatement. To this day I still crave that bakery’s focaccia, which is how this recipe came about.
- 410 ml lukewarm water
- 10 g honey
- 550 g white bread flour
- 55 ml olive oil (+ extra for drizzling at end)
- 10 g salt
- 7 g yeast (one packet)
- flaky sea salt for topping
- rosemary or topping of choice
- In a large bowl, add the yeast, honey, and lukewarm water and stir.
- Add the bread flour and mix until incorporated.
- Add the olive oil to the bowl and mix it really well. (use your hands and really work to incorporate the oil into the dough, we want to start building gluten here, so don't be gentle).
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Add in the salt and fully mix it in (again, really work it here and use your hands)
- Boil a pot of water to place onto the bottom of the oven. (we want to create a warm proofing environment)
- Cover the dough and place it in the oven with the pot of boiled water. Leave the dough for about 1-1.5 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Line a 9×13" pan with parchment paper.
- Add the dough to the lined pan. Use your hand to spread the dough out in the pan, but be careful not to push down too much, we don't want to deflate the dough
- Cover the dough and place it back in the oven for about an hour.
- Remove the dough from the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Drizzle the top of the dough with olive and then use your fingers to pock deep holes in the dough (go all the way down to the pan!). Add dimples all over the dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with sea salt and rosemary
- Bake at 450°F for 25-30 minutes