This may be an unpopular opinion, but I truly think any holiday meal is only as good as the rolls that are on the table. I have made it my mission for years to make the most insanely delicious dinner rolls, while also making the process quick and easy. Well I can GUARANTEE you that this recipe checks all of those boxes!
These rolls are ready in under 2 hours or have a make ahead option where you can make them up to 24 hours in advance to make your holiday baking that much easier.
For make-ahead dinner rolls, follow the recipe through the step that you shape the individual rolls and place them in the baking dish. Then tightly cover the baking dish and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Transfer the dish to the counter and let it sit at room temperature for about 2 hours before baking, and then bake as directed.
Bread Flour vs All-Purpose Flour
I have tested this recipe with both bread flour and all-purpose flour. Though they are both delicious, bread flour yields a softer roll as bread flour contains a higher gluten percentage. If you don’t have bread flour on hand, you will still achieve amazing results with all-purpose flour.
Shaping the Rolls
To shape the rolls, divide the dough evenly into 12 pieces (I make each roll weigh about 75 grams each). Feel free to use flour on your hands or countertop as the dough is sticky. Once the dough is divided, grab a piece of the dough and pull all of the sides to the bottom so that you have a smooth top. Then roll the side that is uneven on the countertop in a circular motion until it form a smooth ball..
- Vegan Option: Simple substitute plant-based milk and butter in this recipe. Then use your preferred sweetener in place of the honey.
- Add herbs: Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely-chopped fresh herbs or garlic (such as rosemary or parsley) to the bread dough to add flavor to the rolls. You can also mix some fresh herbs in with the melted butter to brush on top of the rolls after they are done baking.
- Add cheese: You can also mix in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of shredded cheese into the dough when you are mixing it for some cheesy rolls.
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Dinner Rolls
- 1 Cup Water, room temperature
- ½ Cup Milk, room temperature use your milk of choice
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 Tbsp Instant Yeast
- 4 Cup (512g) Bread Flour all-purpose works too
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1½ tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp milk
Honey Butter Topping
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp Honey
- Flaky seat salt to top
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine all of the ingredients together.
- Using your dough hook, turn the mixer on medium-high speed until the dough comes together and barely sticks to the side, about 10-15 minutes. (if the dough is still sticking to the sides a lot after about 10 minutes, add in 1/4 cup more flour at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is only slightly sticky to the touch.)
- Once the dough pulls away from the sides mostly, transfer to a clean bowl, cover, then let rise on your counter for 45 minutes. (the dough will still be sticky)
- One the dough has risen on the counter, begin shaping your rolls. This recipe makes about 12 rolls. (I make mine weigh 75 grams each). This dough is pretty sticky so don't be afraid to use flour on your hands and on the counter when you are shaping the rolls)
- Place the shaped rolls into two greased 9×13' pans.
- At this point you have two options: either cover the rolls and let rise on your counter for another 30 minutes, then continue on to bake. Or, cover with saran wrap and place in your refrigerator for up to 24 hours.*
- Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- After 30 minutes, uncover and brush the rolls with your egg wash then cook in the oven at 400℉ for about 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- While the rolls are baking, In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp of melted butter and 1 tsp of honey together. Once the rolls are done, brush the rolls with the honey butter and top with flaky sea salt while they are still warm.