I am not exaggerating when I say I have been on a mission to make amazing biscuits from scratch for YEARS. I was constantly left disappointed after the dozens of biscuit recipe attempts. Alas, my biscuit nightmares have come to an end with this quick, easy, and DELICIOUS recipe right here.
From my biscuit journey I learned that with biscuits keeping it simple and easy is best. 7 simple ingredients and just a few minutes of prep work and you will have some delicious buttermilk biscuits.
- 438 grams All-Purpose Flour (3 ½ Cups)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 284 grams Unsalted Butter, cold (I use kerry gold) (1 ¼ Cups)
- 1 Cup Buttermilk *
- 1 Egg Beaten, to brush on the biscuits before baking
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly (If using your fingers, use a pinching motion to break up and mix in the butter)
- Stir in the cold buttermilk until the dough is shaggy.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Pat into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into four equal pieces and stack them onto of one another and then push them out into a rectangle. Repeat this process 3-4 more times.
- Roll the dough out until it is about 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits, but be sure not to twist the cutter.
- Place the biscuits 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets. Place the baking sheets in the freezer for about 10 minutes or until the biscuits are frozen.
- Remove the biscuits from the freezer and brush with the beaten egg and spirnkle with sea salt.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.